About Library Cards
There are many benefits to signing up for a Princeton Public Library card. As a library member, you can:
- Borrow items from our print and media collections.
- Check out content from our eLibrary, including eBooks, downloadable audiobooks, digital magazines, streaming music, movies and television.
- Access our research databases from home.
- Receive one-on-one, online homework help and test prep materials through Brainfuse.
- Develop marketable skills or start a new hobby with Lynda.com.
- Learn a new language with Rosetta Stone, Mango Languages and Muzzy.
- Make reservations through our Museum Pass Program, which offers complimentary admission at several cultural institutions and museums.
- Borrow a Mac laptop to use within the library.
- Receive up to two hours of free parking per day in the Spring Street Garage with each visit to the library.
Free library cards are available to all residents of the Municipality of Princeton. Resident library cards are valid for three years and may be renewed with valid ID and proof of Princeton residence.
! About Princeton ZIP Code ! Parts of several other municipalities share a ZIP code with Princeton. In addition, many area subdivisions outside the Municipality of Princeton include the word ”Princeton” in their names. While we regret that we are unable to offer free borrowing privileges to residents of these communities, we can direct you to the public library that serves you.
Free library cards are also available to:
- Non-resident Princeton property owners
- Proprietors of a business located in the municipality of Princeton and executive directors, presidents or CEO’s of a business or non-profit located in the municipality of Princeton.
- Teachers, staff and students of Princeton Public Schools
- Staff and students of Princeton University, Princeton Theological Seminary and the Institute of Advanced Study
- Teachers in a private school located in the Municipality of Princeton
- Princeton Public Library employees and Board Members
- Librarians employed in a library located in New Jersey
- Princeton Municipal Staff; Fire and First Aid & Rescue Volunteers/Employees
Exempt and Non-Resident library cards are valid for one year and may be renewed with proof of criteria being met.
Reduced Fee Non-Resident Library Cards are available to:
- Senior citizens age 62 or older ($75/year)
- Employees at a business in the Municipality of Princeton ($75/year)
- Students attending a private school located in the Municipality of Princeton ($75/year)
Cards are renewed annually.
Other non-residents may purchase cards for fees equivalent to the tax payments of local residents. The fees for one card are $30 for one month; $75 for 3 months; $100 for 6 months; and $175 for one year.
Cards for additional household members are $15 each.
Non-resident cards may be renewed at the end of the subscription period upon payment of an additional fee.
You can get a card immediately at the library with identification and proof of residence or you can sign up online and your application will be processed within three business days.
Lost library card replacement fee: $2
–Fees and eligibilities approved by Board of Trustees and taken effect on May 3, 2017.
All library card applications (new, renewals and lost card replacements) require valid personal identification and proof of your patron status. Please provide as detailed below. If you have any questions, contact us at 609.924.9529, ext. 1210, email us at email@example.com or visit us at 65 Witherspoon Street, Princeton NJ. A staff member will be happy to assist you.
Driver’s license – non-driver’s identification – passport (U.S. or other country) – U.S. permanent resident card – Mercer County ID – student ID card from one of the following: Princeton University, Princeton Theological Seminary, Institute for Advanced Study, a public or private school located in the Municipality of Princeton.
PROOF OF RESIDENCY IN THE MUNICIPALITY OF PRINCETON
Driver’s license – proof of campus or school housing, NJ motor vehicle registration – a check from a local bank with imprinted home address – current rental lease, receipt or deed with the applicant’s name – a current utility bill in the applicant’s name – a current tuition bill – dated letter from a social services agency.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR NON-RESIDENTS TO RECEIVE A COMPLIMENTARY OR REDUCED-FEE LIBRARY CARD
Proof of property ownership in the Municipality of Princeton (current tax documentation) – proof of ownership of a business or non-profit organization in the Municipality of Princeton (current tax documentation) – proof of member of teaching staff in a school in the Municipality of Princeton (current pay stub, valid school ID) – proof of employment at a business in the Municipality of Princeton (current pay stub).
For applicants under the age of 18, the following may also be accepted as Personal Identification or Proof of Residency: a parent or guardian’s valid Princeton Public Library card – a current report card or ID from a school located in the Municipality of Princeton – a piece of mail addressed to the minor – a parent or guardian’s ID – a valid health insurance card.
NOT ACCEPTED AS PROOF
A post office box address – a general delivery address – a business card.
Our library card and its key tag are printed on Teslin and laminated with polyester. Teslin substrate is a recyclable plastic material. Teslin grades are manufactured under strict corporate guidelines for environmental compliance and waste minimization.
- No ozone-depleting constituents
- 65% by weight inorganic filler (silica – derived from sand)
- No cellulose-based material content – does not contribute to forest harvesting
- Currently recycled into general use bulk plastics such as park benches and industrial signs (a class 7 material)
- Safely disposed of in a landfill – will not leach into ground water
- Incinerates in an atmosphere of excess oxygen to yield only water, CO2, energy and a clean ash (from silica filler)
- Fully compliant with 1994 standards of the Coalition of Northeastern Governors’ Model Toxic legislation (CONEG) relative to heavy metal content
- Fully compliant with current ASTM F963-86 standard, Consumer Safety Specification on Toy Safety – no detectable quantities of either antimony or arsenic.
Teslin is a registered trademark of PPG Industries, Inc., Monroeville PA, for synthetic printing sheet – Learn more at www.teslin.com
Approved Board of Trustees 03-07-2017