Tax Assistance 2021
We know how important it is for you to find accurate and timely tax return information each year. Here, you will find links to 2021 tax forms and instructions, as well as a list of resources available at the library and official federal and state tax return sources. Please note that AARP is not offering its Tax Aide service at any Mercer County location in 2021.
Visit this section frequently for the most up-to-date information on the availability of print forms and instruction booklets.
- Federal 1040 tax forms in English (available now)
- Federal 1040 tax forms in Spanish (available now)
- 1040 Instruction booklets in English (available now) and Spanish (available soon)
- Federal 1040 tax forms in English and Spanish and the 1040 Instruction booklet in English are available for contactless hold pick up at the Sylvia Beach Way entrance during operating hours.
- A selection of reproducible forms for photocopying; 20 cents per page (available soon)
- “Your Income Tax” by J.K. Lasser, a reference book for in-library use
- “Publication 17: Your Federal Tax for Individuals, Tax Guide 2020,” for in-library use. It is also available online.
The library’s public PCs and iMacs can be used to download and print tax forms and instructions, or you can download and print from your own devices using our wireless printing option. If you use our wireless printing from home, you will need to visit the library and pay for and release your print job within 24 hours. All printing is 20 cents per page.
New Jersey no longer provides paper forms to libraries and post offices; see the New Jersey section below for information on obtaining state tax materials.
Visit the Internal Revenue Service for federal tax preparation information, available in a variety of languages:
- Downloadable tax forms, instructions and publications
- List of all available forms and publications
- Publication 17: Your Federal Tax for Individuals, Tax Guide 2020, a comprehensive guide to filing taxes, who needs to file, tax tables and more.
- What is my filing status? Do I need to file?
- How to access previous tax returns
- Find out if you are eligible for Covid-19 tax relief
- How to make a payment
- Electronic filing options for individuals, including IRS Free File and free fillable tax forms
- Free Tax Return Preparation for Qualifying Taxpayers
- How to order forms by mail or by phone (1-800-829-3676)
- Frequently asked questions
- Connect with the IRS through social media
- Contact your local IRS office
Visit the New Jersey Division of Taxation website to access downloadable printable forms, e-file instructions for individuals and businesses, and more:
- Who will receive a tax booklet automatically by mail?
- Complete list of downloadable forms for individual tax returns, for NJ residents and non-residents.
- NJ 1040
- Instructions for 2020 NJ 1040, includes who has to file, which forms to use, worksheets, instructions, and tax tables
- Forms and E-File, with links to additional options
- New Jersey Online Income Tax Filing, e-file your Resident Return
- Income Tax Filing Options, for ordering paper forms by phone, email, etc. or see below
- To order forms by phone from the Forms Request Center, call 1-800-323-4400 or 609-826-4400.
- Email your general state tax question to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not include confidential information.
- Make an appointment to pick up forms in-person at a Regional Information Center.
- Contact the Customer Service Center at 609-292-6400 to speak with a representative for tax information and assistance.
The Federation of Tax Administrators has a list of links to the current websites for all state tax agencies, which will enable you to find tax forms and other pertinent information.
Due to Covid-19, the AARP TaxAide program, which offers annual tax assistance for filing NJ and Federal tax returns, has been canceled for 2021 at all of its Mercer County locations. Affected by the cancellation are the programs at the Princeton Public Library, the Princeton Senior Resource Center, and the Nassau Presbyterian Church, as well as senior centers in Hamilton and Lawrence and other area public libraries.
The AARP Foundation is offering an Alternative Tax Preparation service that offers free online tax software for preparing taxes and also no-contact, low-contact or drop off assistance by appointment. Services vary by location. Please visit the AARP Foundation website for more information.
Vita Tax Assistance
The Vita tax assistance programs are operational in many county locations in New Jersey this year with restrictions. Some sites are offering in-person help and others are offering remote help by appointment. Please contact the specific location for more details. The United Way of Greater Mercer County is a Vita site for Mercer County.