Work at the Library
Princeton Public Library Foundation and the Friends of the Princeton Public Library Part-Time Job Opportunity!
Job Title: Bookkeeper for nonprofit organization
Reporting: Director of Development and Treasurers of the Princeton Public Library Foundation and Friends of
Princeton Public Library
Job Type: Part-Time, Contractor
The part-time bookkeeper serves both the Princeton Public Library Foundation (PPLF) and the Friends of the
Princeton Public Library (FOPPL) volunteer organizations. They will work closely with the treasurers of both
organizations and the library’s development department to ensure accurate recordkeeping. The bookkeeper will
maintain financial records for the two organizations, recording all transactions. They will prepare regular
reconciliations for bank and investment accounts and be responsible for the preparation of year-end analysis
required by external accountant and auditors.
● Responsible for maintaining the QuickBooks company files, paying vendor bills, recording deposits, and
preparing monthly bank reconciliations for both bank and investment accounts.
● Record all transactions and follow up on receipts with development staff and members of the PPLF and
● Prepare monthly financial reports showing year-to-date activity versus budget and prior year.
● Working with development staff, reconcile information entered into QuickBooks using DonorPerfect
● Responsible for the preparation of the annual endowment distribution calculation (PPLF).
● Prepare year-end reconciliations and analysis required by independent auditors in advance of the annual
● Compile information requested by the external accountant for preparation of the annual Form 990(s) and
NJ CRI charitable registration(s).
● Assist with preparation of each organization’s annual budget.
● Responsible for regular compliance work: entering quarterly sales and use tax reports, paying NJ annual
report fee, preparing and filing 1099 forms, verifying W-9 forms are completed for independent
contractors, and other work as identified by the organizations.
● Provide other duties as assigned.
WHO YOU ARE
- ● Experienced with all facets of nonprofit accounting and bookkeeping.
● Interested in a part-time position (4-6 hours per week; additional hours required around year-end
● The ability to:
o work and communicate effectively with diverse individuals in a team-oriented environment, but
also independently as required;
o exhibit strong interpersonal skills and positive, solutions-oriented attitude.
o exercise sound judgment and discretion, maintaining donor confidentiality at all times.
o organize well, maintain complete and accurate records, with close attention to detail, and
complete assignments on time.
● Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
● 5-10 years experience with all facets of nonprofit accounting and bookkeeping
● Strong QuickBooks skills
● Intermediate to advanced MS Excel skills
● Experience working in various G-suite apps
● Familiarity with donor database software is helpful
● Able to work 4-6 hours per week; more hours are required in conjunction with year-end close and
mid-year review by external auditors.
● Work may be done remotely, but presence in the office on a weekly basis is required (pending COVID-19
● Able to work with or without reasonable accommodation in a shared work area.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Lisa Ham (email@example.com).