- Find It
- Get to Know Us
Be part of the community's living room.
Work at the award-winning Princeton Public Library!
Full-time Teen Services Librarian
You are a natural communicator, a willing teacher and a skilled relationship builder. You are highly motivated to engage teens (grades six-12) and promote literacy, learning and leadership opportunities. You thoroughly enjoy the energy of teens and value their participation in the library. You have outstanding technology skills and innovative ideas and are eager to connect with the youth community. You are passionate about libraries and eager to explore new opportunities for engaging library customers. You are an experienced librarian who goes beyond connecting people with information - you connect people to the library and each other by creating an exceptional experience for them. You strive to keep up with emerging trends. You are creative and innovative and ready for new challenges. You are excited by the prospect of having hands -on involvement in participating in a team environment at the library.
As the library’s Teen Services Librarian you will be an active member of the Youth Services department who will:
· Create innovative library services and programming that meet the changing needs of the community.
· Maintain and facilitate meetings of the library’s active pre-teen and teen leadership groups.
· Organize and lead technology education for pre-teens and teens.
· Manage the library’s summer reading program for pre-teens and teens.
· Coordinate volunteer opportunities for pre-teens and teens.
· Conduct outreach to middle and high school students.
· Manage, maintain and develop the collections for teens/young adults.
· Collaborate with staff to market and promote readers’ advisory services to the staff and the community.
· Maintain and update the teen section of the library’s website.
· You will participate as an active member of the Youth Services department who will:
a. Work with the team to foster exciting relationships and develop partnerships with community organizations, and also investigate new opportunities for providing library products and services for pre-teens and teens;
b. Provide a broad range of services to library customers including assistance with locating library materials, using the internet, catalog and databases, answering reference questions, providing readers advisory service, help with downloading materials, troubleshooting technical issues and providing basic technical instruction;
c. provide story times for preschoolers as needed on a weekend rotation;
d. participate in meetings that focus on the development of library-wide programming for children and adults; and
e. participate in meetings that focus on the library’s overall collection development.
MLIS degree from an ALA accredited library school, accompanied by a Professional Librarian Certificate issued by the State of New Jersey and a minimum of two years experience as a librarian working with teens in a public library is desired
Excellent communication skills, understanding of teamwork and strong interest in working with teens.
Bilingual Spanish language skills and/or Mandarin language skills highly desired.
Required technology proficiency:
• Google products (Gmail, Docs, Calendars, Sheets, Slides, etc.)
• Microsoft Office products
• Operating systems (Windows and Mac OS)
• Apple, PC, and Android products (computers, tablets, other devices)
• Photo editing software
• Basic computing troubleshooting
• Content management systems (Wordpress, Drupal, Google Sites)
• Learning tools for programming (Scratch, Codeacademy/Khanacademy)
• Apple Creativity Apps (iMovie, Garage Band, etc.)
Schedule and Compensation:
35 hour workweek including evenings and weekends
Beginning salary is $50,765 per year
Application: To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter using the following link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/myportal/ess/recruitment/internalPostingPreview.faces?client=princetonl&jobId=102850&lang=en_US&source=CC2
Application Deadline: July 27, 2015.