- Find It
- Support the Library
- Get to Know Us
Be part of the community's living room.
Work at the award-winning Princeton Public Library!
The Princeton Public Library seeks an experienced full-time Facilities Assistant to assist with ensuring the building and property of the library is maintained in such a manner that the facility is environmentally safe, clean and ready for employees and customers of the library.
- In consultation with the Facilities Manager, participates in building cleaning and maintenance work including plumbing, carpentry, HVAC and electrical systems, spill clean-up and cleaning emergencies.
- Ensures that the library is able to fully function during its normal working hours. Maintains a schedule of tasks to be done daily, weekly, and monthly. Prepares and maintains appropriate records and files.
- Coordinates and participates in the maintenance of library grounds and walkways adjacent to the library such that these areas remain safe for users and attractive during all seasons.
- Orders library supply inventories for cleaning and maintenance including paper goods for restrooms, and repairs. Fills tissue, towel and soap dispensers.
- Transports book donations for the Friends Book sale to the staging and storage area.
- Disposes of discarded books and other library related material.
- Loads and unloads delivery trucks and delivers materials to the proper department.
- Packages and prepares materials for shipping via US Postal Service, UPS, and FedEx.
- Provides general upkeep of the library’s furniture and shelving and assists with moving these items inside the library.
- Runs errands when requested such as delivery of Board packets and other library related material.
- Assists in training and orienting new staff members and volunteers.
- Empties the outside book-drop and delivers items to the lending department.
- Supplies paper for photocopiers and printers.
- In consultation with staff and other library related groups, sets up meetings rooms for meetings and seminars.
- Provides active support to both fellow staff members and library customers in resolving questions or problems that might otherwise diminish an individual’s experience at the library.
- Maintains a constant awareness of the safety and security of staff and library customers, taking active steps to correct potential problems.
- Conducts all matters to the highest ethical standards.
- Ensures equal access for individuals to all services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
o Recognize and diagnose problems.
o Follow oral and written instructions.
o Plan and supervise the work of others.
o Complete assignments on time and on budget.
o Maintain records.
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff.
o Work evenings and weekends.
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or equivalent degree with demonstrated experience in building maintenance and repair.
- A thorough knowledge of:
o Methods, materials, tools and equipment used in building repair and maintenance.
o Hazards and safety precautions associated with the type of work assigned.
o Applicable codes, pertinent inspection and safety requirements.
Valid New Jersey driver’s license in good standing
New Jersey residency required by the “New Jersey First Act”, N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L. 2011, Chapter 70). If you do not reside in New Jersey, you have one year after the date you take your employment to relocate your residence to New Jersey. If you do not do so, you are subject to removal from your position.
Able to work with or without reasonable accommodation in a shared work area, to stand and move around for three or more hours at a time and to lift 50 pounds from varying heights
Must be able to climb ladders working at various heights, and work with a variety of hand and electrical tools and appliances
Must be able to work outside in various weather conditions as well as being able to work with chemicals, which are used in the performance of the job
Bilingual Spanish language skills would be helpful
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit at online application via the following link:
Application deadline: November 5, 2014.